Friday, May 30, 2008

What is the purpose and biblical use of applying scriptural promises…practically?

Scriptural promises play a big role in one’s prayer life. There are several examples of prayers in the Bible where the person praying reminded God of His promise and God proceeded to answer the requests based on those promises.

 

Solomon built the Temple in Jerusalem and at the dedication his prayer contains several reminders of God’s promise. While praying he says, “O LORD, God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven or on earth—you who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way. You have kept your promise to your servant David my father; with your mouth you have promised and with your hand you have fulfilled it—as it is today.”

 

You can see that the promises of God were a source for thanksgiving and praise. In a different setting, Jacob and his family were on their way back to the land that would be his home. He would soon be passing through the territory where his brother Esau lived. His last meeting with Esau was several years before. They separated in anger and hatred and Jacob was fearful. The Scripture says, “Then Jacob prayed, "O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, O LORD, who said to me, 'Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,' I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two groups. Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children. But you have said, 'I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted' "(Genesis 32:9-12).

 

Do you see how Jacob reminded God of his promise? God answered his prayer by preserving him and the meeting with Esau was very cordial

 

These are examples of how to use the promises of God that are appropriately yours to claim. Pastor Steve gave us in his sermon seven such promises and then asked for prayers to be crafted in light of the promise you chose. Keep working with these and they will bring you a lot of comfort, joy, and peace.

-David Corts

 

 

 

 

No comments: